August 2016

 
Wow! The heat has hit and I am having a problem trying to conserve water
and keep all of my plants growing and green. I water the lawn every three days
and I still have some dry spots that show up on the second day,
so I just use the hose to give them a little water to hold them over.
Some of the hanging baskets are the coco fiber base and they dry out quite rapidly.
One of my neighbors lines her hanging baskets with plastic to keep the water in.
I have some hanging baskets that are made out of plastic and I have no trouble with them.
The peas went down in late June. I cut the plants off and have replaced them with corn
I had planted in paper pots in the basement.
 
This way I can start the plants about a week or two early
before I even take the old crop out. When I took the cabbage and cauliflower
out I planted beans in their place. Over the last few years I have
had trouble getting the plants up in the garden.
Most of the time they get eaten off before they even come out of the ground.
I have used the granular insect killer but that has not helped.
I would spread it over the ground on top of where I had the seed planted
and it did not do any good. Have you heard the old saying when all else fails read the instructions?
Well, I took the opportunity to sit in a big rocking chair at the store on a hot day and find out what
I was doing wrong. The label instructed to sprinkle the product over the area and then
dig it in to about six inches deep and then plant the seeds.
I tried it and it worked with only just a few beans not making it out of the ground.
The garden is in full production, the potato plants have fallen down
and mostly eaten by the bugs, but the harvest is great with great tasting potatoes.
The large tomatoes started producing the third week in June and have not slowed down.
I am starting to get ripe Pluots that are the sweet variety and they are delicious
thanks to the start I got from Bart a few years ago.
The broccoli is still producing and Chuckie, my little dog is delighted with the stems.
The grape plant I got from Starks Brothers, the second plant
was still a dead stick with roots that did not grow. I called for a refund
and they sent it to me. I told them I had lost two months of growth
on that plant but I was able to find what I was looking for at a nursery
here in the valley and it is doing well. Maybe next year I will find out how it tastes.
The fig tree that my wife almost had a heart attack over (because of the price)
is growing and has set a good amount of fruit.
This year the apricot trees were loaded in our area.
The neighbor’s tree to the north had a large crop on it and
it was weighing one of the limbs clear down to the ground.
There was a swing set to help prop the limb up but
that got in the way and caused the limb to buckle and break.
So she will lose a large part of the production of the tree.
It looks like I will need to help her take care of that problem
so I have been through my composting area and piled
every bit to make room for the debris. I had three piles cooking
and I was able to put the last two piles together into one of the bins.
I had a bunch of parsley growing under the rose hedge on the south side
that I took out so I put mulch over it and now I have a good crop of new parsley plants growing.
And remember that the first of August is the time to take rose cuttings from your plants
and follow my instructions from last year to get new plants growing. Remember to
wear your large brimmed hat to keep away skin cancer. It isn’t fun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *